Himachal State Museum Shimla is housed in an old Victorian mansion ‘Inverarm’ which was carefully altered to adapt it to the museum. Inverarm was a small mud roofed house in the early 1860 and belonged to General Innes, which later owned by the ruler of Sirmour and later taken over by the Imperial Government. It was then enlarged, and became for many years the private residence of Lord William Beresford, Military Secretary to the Viceroy. After Lord William Beresford left India it was occupied for some years by General Sir Edwin Collen, and next by Sir Edward Law, financial Member of the Council. Lately it had been the temporary home of Sir Sankaran Nair, and Sir Mohamed Shah and other Government officers. In 1973 the building was transferred to open the Himachal State Museum and on 26th January, 1974 museum was inaugurated by the then Governor S. Chakravarti.
Paintings for Sale
Receive e-mail updates on our exhibitions, events, and more: